There is something I want to share with you today. You know, recently I have experienced that few people with whom I am quite close at this stage of my life express an interesting desire, or rather not a desire to have children. These are quite mature adults and it doesn't really matter that some of them have a partner in life or not. They just say that they do not want children. Probably, I am not sure but I guess, this is because they think that having a child will put some kind of limit on their precious life style. They might also see around themselves these crying, shouting creatures who are their friends' or relatives' creations and find it really disturbing to have these around them for a longer periods of time. "I love children, - they quite often say, - but just do not want my own". Successful or spiritually aweken people are actually blind because all they see is that children will give them troubles or disturbance.
I do not want to point that their opinion is wrong at all, everybody has their right to do or say or feel what they want. The only thing I can say is that before I had a child myself I would have similar feelings or reasons myself. It looks like I have forgotten all of them as my child came to this planet. These reasons had lost absolutely any meaning to me, that's what had happened. Now I see that children not only execute a what we call realising your parental instincts to continue process of human beings existance on this planet. There is so much to it, that usually it is a bit complicated to express it with words.
Children will teach you the most important things and lessons in life.
1. Children give you a sense or point in life. Even if you are the best human representer, and your talents will be one of the best gifts or inheritance for the humans for centuries overtime and in whatever that you do or create requires absolute nonexistance of children in your life even then the role of a child can be underestimated by you. And if this is not the case as most of us are struggling to find a reason why we are in this world, children will be a phisical presentation of this reason. It is not that we live for the sake of children or continuation of human beings. But most often if you are mature enough to feel and understand, you will experience that having a child is something that gives a purpose in life. This like love feeling is hard to describe but easy to feel.
2. Experiencing the evidence of miracles. When you first time see your own new born child you realise that the miracle had happened to you. Otherwise how this living beautiful small creature can be produced by you and be part of you at the same time as being a separate whole thing. It's alive! It's made by you and some universal powers which you have no control of, but now you see that they do exist. This is a real miracle and you feel it and now will always know that miracles are real and possible.
3. Understanding of what is truely important in life. Children are referred to be the most important thing in life by parents not because this is a cliche to say so. An understanding of what is important can often be mistakenly taken by the things which are imposed on us by everyday life, like career, travel, having fun, money and time with friends, well, nobody says that these things are not important. They absotutely are. But if you put them on a scale to compare of how important are your children to you, they are just becoming almost meaningless then.
4. Being able to enjoy life to the fullest. When you observe your own child growing, playing, moving, doing first steps it is like a blessing coming upon you. You feel how precious a gift of life is and experience how beautiful life in itself is. Again, if you compare this experience with other life experiences which are of high importance to you, they might lose their value quite significantly then.
5. That you yourself are actually not that important. As you can sacrifice anything including your time and your own self for the sake of something more important to you and this desire would happen naturally mostly on subcounsios level is something of a good experience too. At the same time you will start to treasure yourself more too as you will understand that your children need you, need you happy, healthy and as a good person and parent.
6. A better you. For the sake of being a good example to your children you will be pushing yourself to be a better version of yourself. This is a good motivation to achieve something good in life and not waste it.
7. Experiencing that you can be really happy then someone around you is happy. Making your child happy will give you such a tender feeling of happiness and satisfaction that you will be amazed to the bottom of your heart. Happy days!
8. Evolve the creator in you. Not only that you have created this most important and beautiful thing in your life - a child. Children will make you to be so creative in all parts and areas of your life that you will not stop being amazed yourself every day.
9. Understanding of what happiness really is. That you can be happy when it is one of the most diffucult and challending periods in your life and your happiness doesn't depend on any of material attributes people connect to the state of happiness. Well, nobody says that having children is easy, well again, it does depend on your attutide as many other things.
10. This all gives you the understanding and feeling of one of the most important things which is said spritually enlightened people feel - the feeling of absolute love and harmony with the world. When it doesn't matter what, you will still feel love towards your child and it will not change under any circumstances. Harmony with world comes from realisation that you together with the universe had created something precious and are in the constant process of developing it.
And it only sounds absolutelly illogical to me that some people who seek spiritual awakening do not realise that their most easiest way to get it is via their children, for some reason they think having children will stop their spiritual journey or somehow will limit it. And the true (in my opininon) is that with the proper attitude this is quite the oposite, children help to mature spiritually for people in this world often without them realising this.
You see how actually easy this is? You do not have to get to Tibet and become a monk there, you do not have to meditate or go to self-development courses. All you need is a right attitude for the most natural of the life processes on this Earth.
Last but not least, if you are not mature enough to feel this when you have got the children already, may be, just may be, trying to change the attitude will help. Just may be :)